Education: PhD in Sociology
Position: Director of Yerevan State University Center for Gender Studies and Associate Professor at YSU Department of Applied Sociology, Co-founder of Women’s Resource Center NGO.
Research Interests: Gender Issues in Armenian Society, Social Identity and Social Cognitions, Social-psychological Transformations.
Languages: Armenian, English, Russian.
City: Yerevan, Armenia
Gohar Shahnazaryan is an Associate Professor at the Department of Applied Sociology at YSU, and a Coordinator of MA program Women, Leadership and Development that was launched at YSU from September, 2015.
In 2004 Ms. Shahnazaryan was a visiting scholar at the School of Public Affairs at Arizona State University. In 2008, 2009 and 2011 for one semester each year she has been a visiting scholar at the Institute of Slavic, Eastern European and Eurasian Studies at UC Berkeley through Open Society Institute Fellowship. She has been mainly affiliated with the Departments of Sociology and Gender Studies at UCB during my visits.
For the past ten years Ms. Shahnazaryan coordinated a number of large-scale projects on women and gender issues. She is an author of more than fifteen articles on gender issues in Armenia.
- European Values and Cultural Identity in the Context of Social-psychological Transformations (case of Armenia) in After the Soviet Empire: Legacies and Pathways (ed. S. Eliaeson, L. Harutyunyan. L. Titarnko), Leiden/Boston, 2015
- Women’s Political Participation in Armenia: Institutional and Cultural Factors in Caucasus Analytical Digest, 2015, #71 http://www.css.ethz.ch/publications/pdfs/CAD-71.pdf
- Perception of Gender Differences in Armenian Labor Market in Gender Inequality in Labor Market: Problems and Solutions in Local and Global Context (co-author with Z. Aznauryan). Yerevan State Universuty, 2015
- The Issue of Preservation of Social Identity in Armenian Villages (a book), co-authors Mkrtchyan, A, Sahakyan A, Vartikkyan A, Vermishyan H., Yerevan, 2014
- The Strategies of Maintaining and Developing of Identity in the Situation of Social Uncertainty (in Russian). Gumanitariy Yuga Rossii, 2014 (http://www.isras.ru/Humanities_South_Russia_2014_01.html)
- Theoretical and Methodological Bases of Studying Social-Psychological Transformations in the Post-soviet Countries (case of Armenia). Banber, Yerevan State University, 2010 (http://www.ysu.am/files/01G_Shanazaryan.pdf)
- The Attitudes of Armenian Youth toward European Culture and Potential Integration with Europe in the Context of Cultural and Ethnic Self-Identification, Newsletter of the Institute of Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 2008
- Social Construction of Gender (a book). Yerevan, 2008
- The Problem of Identity in the Theory of Social Construction in Identity in Changing World. Yerevan, 2008
- Social Capital: Problems of Conceptualization in Sociological Theory (Materials of Sociological Conference). Yerevan State University, 2007
- Gender Stratification and Gender Attitudes in the Contemporary Armenian Society. Caucuses Resource and Research Center. Eurasia Foundation, Yerevan, 2006. //www.crrc.am/index.php/en/17/73
- Young Armenian Women’s Orientation in Life in Armenian Women: Changing Values in a Changing Society. Yerevan State University, 2005
- Social Work with Vulnerable Groups of Women. Yerevan State University, 2003
- Co-author of a Reader Gender Aspects of Conflict Resolution and Peace Building. UNIFEM, Yerevan 2003
- Women’s Movement: From the Beginning till Nowadays in Armenian Women: On the Crossroads of Tradition and Innovation. Yerevan State University, 2002
- Gender and Conflict in Gender Pedagogic and Gender Education on Post Soviet Space. Ivanovo Center for Gender Studies, Russia, 2002
- Peculiarities of Gender Conflicts in Armenia in Armenian Women: Women’s Rights in Armenia. Yerevan State University, 2001